Monday, April 19, 2010

I'm going to talk directly to the Christians who read this blog but if you aren't Christian, stick around!  This might be interesting for you.

I would like you think about God and your beliefs, about Jesus and the Cross.  If you need to, get out a piece of paper and write them down.  Got'em?  Good.  Now, let's take a look.  Words like 'healing,' 'transformation,' 'relationship,' are probably near the top of the list as is 'all-loving,' and what not.  These are words we use everday when we talk about God.  Words we are so used to hearing that we have naturally picked them up.  But take a step outside of yourself.  What do these things sound like to the average person?  What did these things sound like to you, before you were saved (another one of those words)? 

The bible calls us to 'not be of this world.'  And for the most part, even though we are instructed not me to be, we are.  However, in some aspects we're not and that's in our language.  I'm not talking about cursing or anything like that, though I should hope that someone does not use those words, I'm talking about the dialect we use as Christians.  It has been said that to truly be fluent in a language, we need to know what their phrases and metaphors mean and we have become fluent in Christian.  I'm not saying that it is a bad thing because it's not.  But my pastor on Sunday was talking about how we need to relate to different people.  How his mother didn't graduate from high school while his father was a college English professor and so he talked to them in different styles in order for each to fully grasp and appreciate what he was trying to tell them.  We need to do this with other people as well.  Not many people are going to know what you're talking about when you say "Let me tell you my testimony" even though 'testimony' is pretty common in our particular vernacular.  Instead, how about "let me tell you about my life." 

Just thought I'd share some of my views.

1 Comment:

  1. Dee said...
    I like :)

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates